Monday, June 30, 2008

Just My Latest Jinx

If you recall, I priased Jay Bruce's hot start back on June 2nd. At the time, he had an OPS approaching 1.700 and a 1:6 strikeout-to-walk ratio in his first six major league games.

My how times have changed.

His OPS has dropped 900 points, his strikeout-to-walk has done a virtual 180 (it's now 2.5:1), and in the 26 games since my post, he has just three multi-hit efforts.

For further perspective, consider this. The upper line shows Bruce's pre-post numbers. The lower line shows how he's fared post-post (which is a funny compound word).

13 for 22 (.591), 10 runs, 5 XBH, 6 RBI, 6 walks, 1 strikeout

21 for 97 (.216), 8 runs, 5 XBH, 8 RBI, 7 walks, 32 strikeouts

What's ironic about all this is that "the real" Jay Bruce is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of where he is right now with his torrid and frigid stretches included. Over 600 AB's it works out to roughly a .286, 20 homerun, 71 RBI, 91 run, 10 steal season...not bad even for a highly-touted 21-year-old. I just wish I could use my powers for good rather than evil.

1 comment:

Brian said...

i wish i had him in all my leagues and then traded him the day after your post