Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Don't Know About You...

...but even if I had $2.3 million dollars, I'm not sure I'd use it to buy a baseball card, even if it's the rarest baseball card in history. You can't display it, because any number of bad things can happen.

-Someone spills a drink on it
-Someone steals it
-It gets too much sunlight
-Your dog eats it

So that pretty much means you need to keep it under a velvet cover, in a locked room, guarded by pit bulls/ninjas/one of each, for the rest of your life. And what's the fun in that?

I used to be an avid collector, and I remember seeing one of the Honus Wagner 1909s at a card show once. But I'm just not sure if I see the appeal. Maybe the new buyer sees it as an investment, because it has more than quintupled in value since in the last 15 years. And it is a good conversation starter, if you're a jerk.

"Would you like to see my $2.3 million dollar baseball card collection? It's just one card. (rich guy laugh) Ah, ah, aaaaaah!"

3 comments:

Brian said...

can you imagine eating the piece of gum that it came with?

Mike said...

shouldn't it be in a museum somewhere at this point?

Unknown said...

Um, Brian, I can. Because last spring, I ate gum that was 20+ years old.

I can imagine what 5x that bad would be.