Sunday, August 5, 2007

Take Your Pick

I'm curious to know what people think here. What's the more impressive achievement- Barry Bonds and his proverbial "cloud of suspicion," hitting his 755th (and soon enough 756th) career homerun, or Alex Rodriguez hitting his 500th career homerun at 32 years and 8 days of age?

In other words, is Bonds' longevity and sustained power a more admirable feat than the youthful age at which Rodriguez reached a milestone that was once, and may still be, considered a fail-safe measure of a truly elite power hitter?

Once Bonds does reach 756, he and A-Rod will be in completely unchartered territory. Nobody will have hit more homeruns in a single career, and nobody has reached 500 at a younger age.

To be quite honest, I really don't know which one I find more impressive here, which I suppose speaks to the fact that, like many fans, I'm not sure if Bonds reached the record by completely pure methods. Otherwise, I think you have to give the nod to Bonds, hands down. But with A-Rod, so far, free of the performance-enhancing-taint that will no-doubt dog Bonds no matter what investigators find (or don't find), his feats, when compared to Bonds', match up more favorably than they otherwise would.

So, what do you think?



1 comment:

Eric said...

It's hard to not think it's ARod for me. And it's not becuase he's a Yankee. I just can't look at his stats, see how he went from a 7 or 8 year vet with a career high 34 home runs to a guy who hits over 40 a year. It's to suspicious for me to respect what he's done.

I mean Bonds only had like 330 home runs at 32, so I think what ARod is doing is pretty special.