Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Big Sloppi?

A memorabilia company in New York (shocker) is suing David Ortiz for $1 million dollars because they claim he didn't sign enough autographs and violated an exclusivity deal by doing signings with other big companies. I have bought a few items from this company, Steiner Sports, because even though their stuff is very expensive, you at least know it's real. And if what they are claiming in their suit is true, it kind of makes me like Ortiz a lot less.

A Steiner spokesman claims Ortiz would regularly miss scheduled "meet-and-greet" signings, among other things. I still remember when I was about 12 years old, my parents drove me up to a card show in Pennsylvania for my birthday so I could meet Rickey Henderson and get his signature, except he didn't show up. They gave us our money back and I still had fun buying other stuff, but I was definitely disappointed because Rickey Henderson was one of my favorite players at the time. I'm pretty sure I wore bright green Mizuno wrist bands in one of my elementary school class pictures in honor of Rickey (most likely before the incident I just described).

It's too bad that (some) athletes forget what it was like before they were big time, when they just regular kids who looked up to, and admired pro athletes. Forget about fulfilling your contract obligations with some rich, fat, sweaty, card show guy. Show up and do your meet-and-greets for the kids who wear your t-shirt, have your poster, and whose parents take them to your games. Everything doesn't always have to be about money.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I knew I didn't like that guy, I just couldn't put my finger on it until now. There might be another reason too though, I can't remember.