Sunday, July 22, 2007

Why Lester Is More...Than Just A Good Pitcher

He also has a pretty fantastic story and he's going to get the chance to prove he belongs in the Red Sox starting rotation tomorrow night in Cleveland.

Jon Lester, as many baseball fans know, was diagnosed with cancer 11 months ago. Luckily it was a treatable form of lymphoma, known as anaplastic large cell lymphoma. So after a very promising 2006 campaign where he started off 5-0, his season came to an abrupt and frightening end. He underwent treatment from September all the way through the end of December, when doctors pronounced him "cancer-free." He's spent the last 7 months getting himself back into baseball shape. And now, this 23-year-old, who is still considered a top prospect, has a renewed outlook on life.

"Before, I took everything very seriously when it came to baseball. It's what I do, and it's my job," he said. "Now that I've realized it can be taken away, I'm definitely going to enjoy things a little more, not take the little things so seriously, just go out and enjoy them."

Manager Terry Francona openly admits he's going to be pulling for Lester Monday night.

"I wouldn't apologize to be crazy about a kid like Lester -- I'd be crazy not to," he said.

And I'd be willing to bet he's not the only one.

No comments: