Wednesday, July 4, 2007

It All Comes Full Circle

In this post, I want to talk about my weekend trip to Vermont, and Centennial Field, once home to my Vermont Expos, now the Vermont Lake Monsters.

As many of you know, I kept a diary during my brief-but-eventful career as a pro baseball player and I recently turned it into a book, which is available on Amazon. I made the trip up to Burlington to do a book signing at the ballpark before, during, and after the games Friday and Saturday nights against the Lowell Spinners.

I had a blast being up there again, seeing my old host family (Sandy and Onnie Matthews), and seeing some familiar faces (particularly my old clubhouse manager, referred to as the colorful "Gil" in my book). But at the same time, it was kind of a bittersweet trip. Being down on the field just before I threw out the first pitch of Friday night's game, it reminded me of how much fun it was to compete, to be in uniform, and to be revered by the thousands of fans who happened to be there on any given night. I just hope the current players on Vermont recognize how good they have it.


While I was there, I gave the Matthews a signed book to give to my former roommate there, the Yankees' Darrell Rasner. They tell me he's been waiting to read it for years, and will be thrilled once he gets it. I have to laugh when I picture him thumbing through it, sitting in the Yankees' locker room as A-Rod, Derek Jeter, and Roger Clemens walk by.

No comments: