Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Strike Out Child Abuse

As part of fundraiser this past weekend at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium (home of the Delmarva Shorebirds) I pitched on the game mound to Wicomico County State's attorney Davis Ruark, a former outfielder for Wake Forest. Our hitter/pitcher confrontation happened just before the Shorebirds lost to the Lake County Captains in extra innings, 2-1.

That night, we raised more than $12,000 for the Wicomico Child Advocacy Center, an organization that investigates, prosecutes, and treats the victims of child abuse on the Eastern Shore. We sold tickets to the game, held a silent auction, and accepted donations from people in the community.

As I promised I would, I threw the first pitch over his head, off the green pad behind home plate, a-la Randy Johnson to John Kruk in the 1993 All-Star Game at Camden Yards. Davis promptly charged the mound.

They didn't have the radar gun on me, but if I had to estimate, I would say I didn't come anywhere close to hitting my "in-shape-personal-best" of 89 miles an hour. It was still a blast though.

No comments: