Saturday, October 6, 2007

That's Just Manny Being "A Bad Man"

Don't let his .296, 20, 88 season (his worst full year in the bigs) fool you. Manny Ramirez is still pretty good. Just as him.

"I am one of the best players in the game," he said after cranking a 3-run walk-off in Game 2 against LA. "I have confidence in myself, and I know my train doesn't stop here."

He went on to say about LA closer, and gopher-ball server-upper Francisco Rodriguez, "He's one of the greatest closers in the game and I'm one of the best hitters in the game."

Manny also went on to explain his career low numbers.

"I haven't been right all year. When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's how you know you're a bad man."

Can you imagine if he gave more than one interview a year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think about Manny standing with his hands up after the home run? After he had rounded the bases I turned and said, "he's going to get hit tomorrow." Yet refelecting on it, he both won the game AND killed that ball. Couple that and the facts that he's a vetran and, well, Manny, I now think he'll be fine. Do you think that was "showing up" k-rod? Do you think the halos will react?

[As an aside, it's too bad they don't measure at Fenway. It's nice that Ted Williams will always have the longest home run there, but it seems silly in light of some of Manny's obviously longer home runs.]

-e

Baseblogger said...

In my opinion, the differences between this homerun and the one Ryan Howard pimped the other day (and about which I had not-so-nice things to say) are many.

Manny's was a walk-off, Howard's wasn't. Manny's changed the game completely, Howard's didn't.

And I don't think Manny was showing up K-Rod. After all, he gave him credit for being one of the best closers in the game. I think it was more just Manny being super-enthusiastic...a side of him we don't see all that often.