Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Let's All Calm Down

Now that every team except for the Padres and Giants have played their first game, I want to look back at Opening Night/Day and reflect on some remarkable performances. But I want to do so with the caveat that like always, everyone puts way too much stock in the first game of a 162-game season. This isn't the NFL where you play 16 times and each game is huge. No, this is a marathon, not a sprint. And your favorite team's game on August 17th and all stats accumulated therein is worth just as much as yesterday's win or loss, strikeout or home run.

So here are a few headlines from the last two days...

1. Yankees Win Ugly
While one of my readers likes to remind me that his team is on a pace to go 162-0 this season, I seriously doubt that will happen. And if yesterday's starting pitching performance is any indicator, this team will need to score a lot of runs (as they did yesterday) and play better defense (like they didn't do yesterday) to win even 90 games.

2. Red Sox Lose Ugly
What was the bigger shocker? The fact that Kansas City got 7 runs and 12 hits off 6 Boston pitchers? Or the fact that two Royals hurlers held the Sox to a run on 8 hits, including 6 singles? It's a coin flip as far as I'm concerned. But I don't expect it to continue. However, they need Schilling and Beckett to anchor the staff, so Wednesday's game may have a few Red Sox fans anxiously awaiting JB's '07 debut.

3. Dominating Pitching Performances
Tom Glavine, about the only sure thing on the Mets staff so far, threw 6 economical innings Sunday night, beating the defending champs, 6-1. Then Monday, Felix Hernandez (8 IP, 3 hits, 0 earned, 12 K), Ben Sheets (9 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned), Gil Meche (7.1 IP, 6 hits, 1 earned, 6 K) and Aaron Harang (7 IP, 6 hits, 0 earned) one-upped him. Tonight's pitchers to watch include Jake Peavy, Barry Zito and Daniel Cabrera.

4. Hot Hitting Early
Adam Dunn and Edgar Renteria left the yard twice, Hanley Ramirez had 4 hits and scored 4 times, Miguel Cabrera had 4 RBI and a handful of other players (mostly on the Indians and Yankees) had at least 3 hits, runs scored or RBI. Can't say I'm surprised, except maybe for Renteria.

5. Struggling Studs
Johan Santana, Chris Carpenter, Brandon Webb, Carlos Zambrano, John Patterson, Scott Kazmir, and Erik Bedard all had outings to forget. But don't worry, they'll all be fine. Probably.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I don't know, I think its pretty safe to assume that the result from the first game of the season are pretty much what you can expect for the rest of the season. Are you trying to tell me that Adam Dunn isn't going to hit 324 hrs? You're crazy.

Sarah said...

So I'm reading your book, Kenny. And honestly, I can't put it down. Rob got mad at me the other night because I think I only said 10 words the whole night because I had my face stuck in the book. And although I may not fully get all teh baseball speak- it is such a well written book and even though I know the story, it really has me captivated! I even get that nervous feeling in my stomach whenever you get up to pitch. So, to sum it up, amazing job on the book! i'm so proud!