Monday, April 23, 2007

Phil Hughes Will Debut Thursday

This, I find funny. I was just having a conversation with a Yankee-fan member of my family Sunday about how soon the Bombers would bring up Phil Hughes, in light of their pitching woes (including, as a Red Sox-fan friend of mine calls him, Chase Wright Down The Middle).

I told him that a young pitcher's brain is arguably the most fragile part of his body, even more so than his throwing arm. And I said the Yanks would most likely want him to get about 100 innings under his belt at triple-A before even thinking about a call up. But now that their starting rotation makes the Nationals' staff look deep, they're giving Hughes the nod after just three triple-A starts. He'll throw Thursday night at home against Toronto.

Best case scenario: Hughes is great, Wang comes off the DL, only to be joined by Moose and Pettitte, and the Yanks pitching rivals that of the Red Sox and Angels for best in the league.

Worst case scenario: Hughes gets batted around like he did in spring training causing his ego irreparable damage and he peters out as a Can't Miss Kid who somehow did. We'll know more Thursday.

1 comment:

David said...

I'll take the best-case, please. Actually, I believe if he maintains his command, his stuff is so good that it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to have an impact like Jered Weaver did last year. he may take a step back next season, but I think he'll do very well over the course of this season.

I'm picking him up on all of my fantasy teams, just in case. If he stinks, I'll just send him back to the wire.