Friday, April 27, 2007

Phil In The Gap

A few Blue Jays took Mr. Hughes there last night in New York and his debut was not what the Bombers were looking for as they fell 6-0. Of his 91 pitches, 58% were strikes, but he fell behind a lot, threw a wild pitch, and allowed two stolen bases (both runners ended up scoring). Overall, he got the hook in the 5th, allowing 7 hits and 4 earned over 4 1/3, two of which came in the top of the first. But he did have 5 k's and 2 of the runs scored on sac flies, meaning he didn't panic with men on base.

Joe Torre said he wasn't disappointed, adding he didn't think Hughes was out of his league at this level. But he wouldn't say if number 65 would get another start any time soon.

Perhaps the biggest story line from last night is as follows. The Yankees have lost 6 straight. They are now 8-12, good for last in the East and the Red Sox are coming to town for a three-game-set. Luckily for them, the Yanks face the back end of the rotation (Dice-K, Wakefield, and Taravez).

Johnny Damon summed it up best. "There's going to be panic soon if the winning doesn't start. We have to stay close. If we can't start getting victories, I'm sure there's not going to be too many happy people."

I'm not sure if I agree 100%. If the Yankees keep losing, I think there will be lots of happy people.

2 comments:

David said...

Maybe I'm the only one, but as a Yankee fan, I'm not worried yet. It won't be long until Pettitte, Wang, and Mussina are all completely healthy, and they will be able to hold that rotation together. I think Hughes has what it takes right now to fill the fourth spot in the rotation, and though I'm not counting on Pavano, the fifth spot will be manageable among the pieces they have. The real challenge is going to be resting the bullpen after the early abuse they've been taking. I think the Yanks will have to keep a constant shuttle between New York and Scranton for awhile, but they'll be fine. They're still going to score 1000 runs.

David said...

Where do I sign up to donate my elbow ligaments and shoulder tendons to Scott Proctor?