Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Watching Baseball With My Wife

Oh, married life. I'm watching tonight's Mets/Cardinals game on ESPN2 (the Red Birds look awful, by the way) and the commentators, Brian Schulman, Orel Hershiser, and Steve Phillips are talking about Barry Zito's unremarkable debut with San Francisco the night before (he gave up 3 runs and 4 hits with 2 walks over 5). They were analyzing his breaking stuff and said he was having trouble getting his big curve ball over for a strike, but also predicted he would improve as the season progresses. So the lady in the picture with the blue hat, holding the cup filled with Diet Mr. Pibb, turns to me and says, "maybe if he didn't spend the whole off-season playing guitar and smoking doobies."

I believe my exact response was, "What!?!?"

As if that non sequitur wasn't enough, I had the O's/Twins game on MASN on picture-in-picture (the Black Birds look worse, by the way) and right after Miguel Tejada booted a really tough in-between hop on a chopper in the hole off the bat of Luis Castillo, that same wordsmith looks me dead in the eye and says, "maybe if he wasn't off pimping his ride and sippin' on gin and juice all the time, he would have made that play."

It's going to be an interesting 6 months of baseball in my living room.

7 comments:

Eric said...

You should let Amanda right a little side column every once in a while like Bill Simmons does. I think I'd be interested in reading that.

Mike said...

Tejada is from Watts?

Anonymous said...

Love the photo. Classic. Your wife seems pretty well-informed to me.

Brian said...

i cant wait to hear the reason why ichiro makes an out. also, i think there are much better candidates for gin and juicing than miggy.

Jeanine & Piper said...

My sister drinks Diet Mr. Pibb????Nothing else surprised me.

Unknown said...

Cute girl! !, she looks like a newly wed , tell her to mix something in with that soda WILL YA!!!!
Eddie Black

Anonymous said...

I would totally watch baseball with Amanda. I bet that'd be fun. (Baseball - Amanda = not fun.)

Kelly in Charm City

PS--I know this is a baseball blog and everything, but please write about 24 or something, so I know what you're talking about. :)